Sunday, August 22, 2010

Friends Don't Let Friends Knit Drunk

Alcohol + pointy objects = not a good idea, especially when yarn is involved. For those that know me, you know that I'm not much of a drinker, and the one time I attempted knitting a dishcloth after one bottle of Mike's hard lemonaid was not a happy evening. Lots of dropped stitches, screwy tension, and swearing. Not a pretty picture. But no one ever says anything about crocheting and drinking...

This weekend I had an adventure on the high seas! Ok, so it was a short sailing trip from the Everett to Hat Island, but it was definitely not an everyday event for me. On Saturday morning several of my coworkers piled into 3 boats and headed towards Hat. At one point I even got to steer the boat. Go me! Good thing I had my pirate shirt on ;-)

Eventually we made our way up to the house, unloaded all the overnight gear and food, then got to relax. We sat around chatting and drinking and life was good. Especially when they made a big bowl of the best slushie ever. Fresh peaches and raspberries in a large mixing bowl with some tonic and a whole bottle of Skyy vodka. My kind of fruity awesomeness. This is definitely in my top 5 favorite drinks! Anyway, once the yummyness was gone, and we continued to sit around chatting, I decided it was time to break out the yarn. Based on past experience one might this this wasn't a particularly bright idea, but that wasn't about to stop me - I was going through yarn withdrawal. I was good and even kept track of my time. Can you believe that I managed to keep to my rate of 5 minutes per shell???

By the time I'd finished 2 rows (19 shells), dinner was ready and I put the yarn away for the rest of the weekend. I had a killer headache anyway and was getting pretty tired. We ate dinner, chatted some more, watched part of the Seahawks game, then it was time for bed. This morning I was pretty much a zombie, but didn't need much brain power to pack up the sleeping bag, eat breakfast, and head home. I was soooooo happy to get home. The weekend was fun, but that's a lot of time to spend with coworkers and I'm not particularly looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. Oh well. When I got home I just crashed. Now that my brain is starting to work a bit better, I did the math on the crocheting (no way was I up to that last night) and got out the shawl to inspect it. I'm very proud of myself - the tension is even, I'm not missing any stitches, and I don't have anything crazy going on like 15 posts in one shell. Yay, I don't have to take anything out!!!

Now it's time to go work on the pointy eared bastard or reskein yarn. It's so good to be home and back to my yarn :-)

Day 3, Triangle 1: 19 shells = 1 hour 35 minutes
Average: 5 minutes per shell
Total: 55 shells = 4 hours 35 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment