Friday, June 18, 2010

The rainbow turtle of awesomeness

A couple of weeks ago my craft group got together at The Ceramic Place in Silver Lake. This was the beginning of the end. It's been a while since I've gone painting, and I've avoided the local place for years. I'm a die hard fan of Glazed & Amazed in Edmonds, but it was nice that I'd have to drive a ways, and make a day of it if I wanted to paint. Easier for me to not spend all my money on ceramics that way. But now I've been to the one 10 minutes from my house. This can't be good.

The first night I started painting a mermaid box for my water-themed swap box due to ship out at the end of the month. I figured this would be something unique and different for my "large item" and would be fun to paint. Of course, since I'm such a perfectionist and I usually only paint with tiny brushes, I didn't finish the box by the end of the evening. Oh darn, I suppose this means I would just have to go back and finish painting. Later in the week Valeta and I went back to finish our boxes. While I was there I decided that I knew I'd want to keep coming back so it would be good if I had a big project to work on so I didn't have to keep spending money. That's when I found the turtle. He was more than I wanted to spend, but I love turtles and he was seriously awesome and I had a vision of how cool he'd be with a rainbow shell, and now he's mine... all mine!!! Bwahahahahaha!

When I started painting the turtle, I knew it was going to take several trips, but I didn't realize just how long it really would take. Last night was the third time I've worked on him. I'm now at 7.25 hours. I've only finished the purple. Still have lots more shell to paint. I'm so happy that I have a new color to work on though. The better part of those 7 hours were with purple and only purple. I should probably point out, for those not in the know, that to get bright solid colors you need 3 layers of paint. I used a tiny brush because these lines are pretty small. It takes a long time to paint. At least next time I get to start on the blue!

the beginning of the evening - 4 hours of previous painting time

end of the evening - 7.25 hours total and I'm done with purple!

No comments:

Post a Comment